Wednesday 30 April 2008

Just a Sketch?

I love looking at different fashion sketches, since they always reveal a lot about the designers… OK, I am not an expert on this, but still you can see the drawing styles and the really tiny details, e.g. whether they are neat, what sorts of image they try to portray, and etc. When we sometimes see a high price tag, we will probably understand that much more by just looking at from the first drawings to the runway show.

Here, I came across this sketch randomly. Hold on a minute, that’s the drawing of Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel Haute Couture aw06. The beautiful sketch looks actually look pretty detailed, which, of course, ensures the very best Chanel quality for their handmade couture clothes. Interestingly, you can see that Karl likes to mix traditional Chanel elegance with some modern touch; teaming the skinny blue jeans with the tailored suit. Even the face of the model also shows the some edginess. I can actually imagine the tension and pressure that Karl’s staffs had when the drawing was made. If you watched the THE HOUSE OF CHANEL shown on BBC 2007, you know what I mean.



Rumour has it... it is ridiculously hard to get a smile from Anna Wintour for any collection. Then what can be more successful than two very important Anna both have worn the suits? Anna Wintour wore the suit for Chanel aw07 Ready-to-Wear, while beautiful Anna Mouglalis attended the opening of Chanel boutique in Moscow in Sept 2006. Guess what? I feel culturised, since I really didn't feel the same way as the first time I saw the suit..... Umm, more sketches to come.




photo: getty images


2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

It's a brilliant drawing, and a brilliant-looking suit. I really like it on the models, and on AW. It's more versatile than I would have thought. Nice post!

Times of Glory said...

Thank you. That's what I felt! Also, when I first saw the drawing, I feel the face of the model looks like Agyness Deyn, maybe just the haircut...